Organic beauty products are created with great care and responsibility for the beauty and health of people who use them. Therefore, they contain natural preservatives, such as ginger root extract, citrus extracts, honey, etc., aimed at building a protective barrier against harmful microorganisms.
This barrier is completely reliable in preserving the quality and the safety of the cosmetics. Different products, however, have different "life-span", conscientiously indicated on the packaging by the producers.
Unfortunately, we cannot preserve our favorite cosmetics forever, but we should be able to at least enjoy it during the whole period, promised by the manufacturer, as long as we store it properly. This is how:
- We should always keep our cosmetic products in a dry and cool place. The bathroom is one of the most inappropriate places for the purpose (unless it comes to hygiene items), since because of the high humidity in it, all sorts of bacteria find a perfect home there.
- Direct sunlight is also very harmful to our cosmetics. Ultraviolet rays are strong oxidizers, while the heat itself can melt some of the products or dry others. Even if it is a little inconvenient, it is best to keep cosmetics in transparent containers in their original packaging paper (in case there is such).
- We must always close the caps of our beauty enhancers tightly, in order to prevent penetration of oxygen, as well as to stop the evaporation of some delicate ingredients.
- When purchasing a cosmetic product in a large container, it is better to separate some of it in a smaller and more practical one, to limit the oxidation process, occurring in each opening
- It is not advisable to thrust your fingers in a product that is not contained in a tube or equipped with a dispenser. It is better to scoop up the quantity that you need with a spatula or a small spoon, after which it is important to carefully wash and dry the device, so that it is sterile during the next use.
- Even if you feel tempted to enrich your cosmetic formulas with some other ingredients or to dilute them in order to get more of it, that is not desirable, neither. In this way, you will disturb the perfect balance of ingredients, created by the manufacturer, which will eventually lead to the deterioration of the product.
- Generosity is a wonderful quality, but we should refrain from sharing with others beauty products that come into direct contact with our body, such as lipstick and mascara.
- Most of the organic products are composed only of completely natural substitutes and are entirely devoid of synthetic preservatives. Therefore, the refrigerator would be the perfect place for their storage, especially during the hot summer days.
A recent survey shows that most women tend to keep their cosmetic treasures for 6 and even more years after their expiry date. This adherence, however, not only makes the products inefficient, but creates potential health hazards, as well. So, use cosmetic products within the specified time period and never hesitate to replace them with new ones when their “last hour" comes.